You are here: The Museum > Permanent exhibition
The synagogue. Community areas
This area of the Museum enters the sacred precincts of the synagogue, where the community studies, prays, meets and celebrates festivities. Visitors will find here not only ritual and religious features, but also archaeological finds and documents (both originals and reproductions) referring to the synagogues of Girona.
Girona limestone, 14th century. The inscription must have been situated next to the Aron ha-Kodesh (the Sacred Cupboard in which the Sefer Torah was kept) in the Great Synagogue of Girona in the 14th century. It is a call to the faithful to follow the commandments of Jewish Law, invoking the Psalm of David: "House of Jacob, come and walk in the light of Yahweh..."
Ink on parchment, 19th century, Germany (donated by the Jewish Community of Barcelona). The Book of the Law contains, in scroll form, the first five books of the Bible, and constitutes the basis for all of Judaism. The Torah (Law) is the single most important and essential item in any synagogue.
Ink on parchment, in Latin, dated 10th July 1492, Girona. Girona Municipal Archive (facsimile). As a result of the Decree of Expulsion issued by King Ferdinand concerning all the Jewish inhabitants of Catalonia, the leaders of the Jewish community sell the synagogue premises (which are the property of the whole community) to the canons of Girona Cathedral. The sale is completed at a price of 300 pounds.