The City History Museum displays an Orihuel painting in its permanent collection
the City History Museum has received the posthumous donation by Ms. Enriqueta Camps Martorell.
The municipal heritage collection preserved by the City History Museum has received the posthumous donation by Ms. Enriqueta Camps Martorell, widow of Mazó, of the oil painting The Girona Gypsy Woman (1946) by the artist Joan Orihuel Bartra.
Aside from this, in the exhibition Cityscapes of Girona. The Artistic Gaze, a splendid autumn landscape of the Devesa, also by the renowned painter and professor, is being displayed for the first time.
Born in Barcelona in 1906, Joan Orihuel studied at that city's School of Fine Arts. With the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War, he fled from Barcelona, installing himself first in Lloret de Mar and later, in 1938, in Girona, where he worked for the Propaganda Service of the Generalitat, residing in the city until 1950 in a flat at Carrer Santa Eugènia, adjacent to Plaça Marquès de Camps. Between 1939 and 1950, Orihuel held about a dozen exhibitions and his work circulated among the local bourgeoisie and the organisations of Girona. He became the official painter of the city of Girona in the post-war period and taught such artists as Xargay, Monsó, Marquès, Caselles and Llonch. In 1950 he decided to emigrate to Argentina, dying in its capital, Buenos Aires, in 1992.