A hundred of persons took part in the Walk along the Quarries
The route traced the imprint left by the community of Capuchin friars in the city, with amazing spaces that are preserved under the mountain.
Last Sunday, the hand of Jaume Prat, was able to enter the Capuchin old cistern, the Tower of Alfonso XII and were the last to know, and paradoxically the least known, defenses that were built in the city, into the second half of the seventeenth century, and strong pockets of stones.
The Capuchins settled in Girona in 1581 in the former convent of "Sanctuaries", located at the southern tip of the mountain of stones. In 1650 the chapel became monks in a monastery, which became one of the most comfortable of the order, dedicated to the Annunciation of the Virgin. In 1707 during the War of Succession, the Hermitage, home of the hermit and the new convent remained within the confines of a fort that was built and were demolished, we have only the testimony of the tank, which is in perfect condition. The fort was called Fort Capuchin and occupied the entire southern part of the crest of the mountain, from the communications tower that overlooks the ravine until Onyar. From this privileged position mastered the path of Sant Feliu de Guixols and Montilivi hill. After a brief stay at Torre Gironella were placed in the street of the Force, the former House Cartellà, in 1733 received permission to build a new convent in the old manor of Marquis of Cartellà.